How to Maintain Proper Oral Hygiene When You Have Dental Implants - Tips and Tricks
Posted by Justin Le, D.D.S. on Apr 7 2022, 02:54 AM
Dental implants help you enjoy your favorite foods and flaunt your beautiful smile without feeling self-conscious.
However, to avoid any hassles related to implants, you must make sure that you are getting yours from an experienced dental care provider. Apart from that, if you want them to last longer, you must also focus on effective dental care at home.
Dr. Justin Le, DDS, at El Paseo Dental Care in San Jose and Hayward, California, offers expert solutions for oral health concerns. In this article, we share a few tips and tricks on how to maintain proper oral hygiene with dental implants.
Effective Maintenance of Implants
For effective implant care, a stringent combination of appropriate routine professional care, evaluation of implant and oral status, and at-home patient oral hygiene are important.
Factors That Cause Implant Failure
Several factors such as smoking, periodontal disease, medications, jawbone deficiency, and poor oral hygiene will make your implants prone to wear and tear and may lead to failure.
Home Care for Implants - Tips and Tricks to Follow
- For the first 48 hours after surgery, your dental surgeon will explain the dos and don'ts of implant aftercare.
- After that, you can follow the tips and tricks below to keep your dental implants and gums healthy:
- Like your natural teeth, your implants are prone to plaque accumulation, So, you should brush as often as you do your natural teeth.
- Brushing should be followed by flossing and a mouthwash rinse. Flossing should be done around the abutments as well in a gentle manner.
- Schedule a visit to see your dental hygienist once in a while for a more thorough cleaning of your teeth and implants.
- Implants function as replacements for your teeth. So, if you observe any discomfort or swelling around the implants, you should visit your dentist.
- Avoid drinking very hot or very cold beverages after implant placement since it is a major surgery. You might be more sensitive to temperatures than usual.
- Chew your food properly to prevent it from getting stuck between your teeth.
- Apart from these tips, make sure you schedule regular visits with your dentist for proper maintenance of your implants.
Follow these simple tips, to ensure a hassle-free experience with dental implants.
For more information on how to maintain proper oral hygiene with dental implants, call (408) 370-0101 or (510) 750-1654 to schedule an appointment. You can also visit El Paseo Dental Care located in San Jose and Hayward in California for a comprehensive consultation.