Get your teeth crowned for better appearance and strength in San Jose
Dental crowns are widely used for dental restorations or cosmetic enhancements. A crown is a prosthetic device that fully encases the target area. It acts as the tooth's false outer surface and improves the appearance, strength, shape and alignment. The tooth is reduced to an ideal size so the crown can easily fit over it. A custom-made crown is thus permanently cemented over the prepared tooth.
Why do we Crown Teeth?
- To guard a weak tooth against decay or breaking. Already broken teeth can also be restored using crowns.
- When a tooth has been severely damaged, crowns cover the teeth with a large filling.
- Crowns hold a dental bridge or denture in place.
- They are used for cosmetic enhancements like discoloration removal, appearance and shape improvement.
- A crown is often placed on top of an implant, using an abutment, to provide a tooth-like structure.
What are the Types of Crowns?
Gold, Silver, Nickel, Chromium and Palladium alloys are used to fabricate crowns. Metal crowns have the maximum life span and can withstand forces well. They are immune to chipping and breaking.
Porcelain-fused-to-metal Dental Crowns
They give a natural look to teeth as the color can be matched to your adjacent teeth. These crowns are used to restore both front and back teeth. A metal is used to create the base (for strength) and then porcelain is applied over it to give shape.
Porcelain and Ceramic Crowns:
Porcelain crowns are the most natural looking but lack strength. They are used to restore the front teeth. If you want to preserve the aesthetics of your mouth, porcelain crowns are the best. Ceramic crowns provide strength and also an aesthetic appeal. They can be used to restore both front and back teeth.
If you want to reap all the benefits of this treatment, call us at 408-370-0101to schedule an appointment with Dr. Justin Le.